This is awesome: simple, awesome, and summery. And awesome. It’s based on a salad common in Morocco, Spain, and places between.
Sweet oranges give a tang that enhances the spiciness of green onion and chili pepper, and pepitas add a bit of crunch. This is ased on the recipe here, plus some tweaks based on 2 orange salad recipes in the NY Times.
- 5 blood oranges or navel oranges, peeled thoroughly, quartered, and sliced 1/4″ width-wise
- 2 green onions, chopped up to about 1/4″ or thinner using kitchen scissors (for the white parts, first remove and discard oot nubbin and halve the white part lengthwise)
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red chili pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp etra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 c pepitas (uncooked pumpkin seeds) or other toasted nuts such as walnuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 c dried raisins
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 30min (also delicious the day after).
- Serve chilled.