I made this today and it is quite tasty. It’s my own recipe. I generally don’t like fennel, but it’s quite good in soup.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped or mashed, as you please
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped/ground fresh ginger root
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- about 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup split green peas
- 8-10-ish cups of water, or however much broth you want.
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- freshly-ground mixed pepper
- about 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- as much fresh ground black pepper as you like
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Heat the olive oil on medium in a soup pot. Chop up/slice/grind your ingredients as you please. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger, and chicken to the oil. Grind some mixed pepper on top. Stir it occasionally. Once it’s cooked a little, add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, and fennel and let it cook until it’s saucy. Add the peas, cabbage, carrot, celery and water. Let it simmer, covered, on medium-low for about 2 hours. Add the salt and pepper as you please. Cook it for another 15 minutes or so, then let it cool and eat.
If you have room in your pot, add a zucchini.
Like many soups, it’s even better the next day.