This is the tasty sour-cream-coffee cake from Uptown / The Black Horse cafe in San Luis Obispo. Sweet, softer than many coffee cakes, sticky in the middle, and can handle a hefty dose of cinnamon. Works as 2 smaller (8-inch) cakes, but would probably be ideal as cupcakes —
Sour-Cream Coffee Cakes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup salted butter, softened (I used unsalted and added 1/4 tsp salt)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- mix of white + brown sugar + cinnamon for swirly inside layer (I used 1/2 cup white, 1/4 cup dark-brown, 1 tablespoon cinnamon)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F
2. Mix 1st 2 ingredients in a small or medium bowl and set aside. Since usually 2 cups is 1 16oz container, you can just add the baking soda to the container, but it will puff up and overflow, so put a plate underneath.
3. Mix all dry ingredients into one large bowl. In another small or medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar before adding in eggs & vanilla.
4. Alternate adding the 2 different “wet” mixes (the sour cream and baking soda, and the butter/sugar/eggs/vanilla) into the dry, until it’s all fully incorporated. When mixing in the sour cream, try to mix by scooping batter up under it and stretching it together, upward, so it doesn’t lose all its fluffiness.
4. Fill cupcake cups or greased cake pan(s) 1/2 way with batter, then sprinkle the cinnamon mix and use a toothpick to make a swirly pattern. Fill up the rest of the way with batter.
5. Bake 20 min. on one side; rotate and bake 20 min. more. Should be the color of overdone toast (but not black) when done.